Lake Placid New York

Lake Placid New York
Fall Ride 2010-Keene Valley, NY

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Tortured Soul

I worked for an eye doctor many years ago who was always asking the office workers what time it was. Of course, we never had clocks on the walls because the patients waiting would be staring at them to make sure they weren't going to be kept waiting to see the doctors. Ha! But I digress....

I once asked Doc why he didn't own a watch. He told me, "Only people with tortured souls have to know what time it is". Um...ok. Whatever that meant I figured I am definitely a tortured soul.

Clocks and watches are two things I really like and am attracted to. I would someday love to own a grandfather clock complete wit the moon phase dial at the top. I'm a collector (of sorts) of Movado watches which i find sleek and classic looking. We even own an Atmos clock that my father gifted too us many years ago.

So an issue for me, while riding on my bike has been not having a clock. From my first ride, the Maxim, I had a small clock and compass combo unit I purchased for $3 at a local auto parts store- a little Velcro and I was good to go. I have no idea what it is, but when I can glance down and see what time it is I feel........well- less tortured I suppose.

Walking around the Americade in Lake George, NY this past spring I saw a vendor that had clocks for handle bars. They are these really cool little devices that slip onto your bars and tighten down with a little Allen wrench. The face is just like a standard watch. I ended up mounting it on the Virago right over the light display.


I purchased the clock on  from these folks:
clocks4bikes

I have gotten more comments on that darn little clock than anything on the bike or anything I wear (none of which is anything out of the ordinary). It's just kind of cool looking and I've had several people ask where I got it and how it's mounted. My only issue with the darn thing is that I can't see it at night- it's not a glow-in-the-dark type of watch face; however they do offer a back light option for an additional charge. The folks at Clocks4Bikes include an extra battery and Allen key with the clocks so they are easy to mount.

When I purchased my Boulevard s50 the first thing I bought was another of these clocks. The one on the Virago is 7/8" and the bars on the s50 are 1". Clock4Bikes offers many different styles and sizes for their clocks so I was able to get a new one for my new ride with no issues.

If the temperature is something you have to know at any given time or you'll be a tortured soul, have no fear- Clocks4Bikes also makes a thermometer as well. I'm asking for one as a stocking stuffer this year!

If you like weird little farkles for your bike that are useful, this little clock may fill the bill.

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed your blog, I also ride and have started a blog called Moto Trips and Such. Look forward to following another women's ride and her motorcycle stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete